Monday 5 May 2014

Tibetan Yak

My second project of the weekend has been taken from Cloth Paper Scissors. It appeared on the front of January/February issue and the artist Susannah Raine-Haddad made a lovely blue sheep. I decided to have a go at a yak and used material, wool and beads rather than paper.



I painted the canvas blue and when dry painted on a likeness to a yak. I used 3 different browns. Next I added horns and a face which was a piece of texture I had made for a scrap book page but didn't look right. I think it makes a good face.


Then the scary bit of adding different materials (some are from Tibet, as are the beads) and wools to evoke an image of a Tibetan yak on a high pass. They have bright wool, beads and ribbons in their hair. Finally I added black buttons for the eyes and nostrils as the painted ones were not showing up enough.


I have to say I am pleased with result and feel I achieved a yak likeness. Hope you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment