Monday 28 October 2013

Dorset Buttons

Hi

Last week I went to the Ashcroft Arts Centre in Fareham and learnt how to make Dorset buttons. This was a fun evening and another string added to my crafting bow.

You need a ring such as a curtain ring it can be metal or plastic, embroidery thread or wool and a needle.

First you blanket stitch around the ring. I use a needle as I find that easier and quicker than threading by hand.


Then you turn the stitches inwards. This will make the edges neater. You then add spokes. Sorry I forgot  take a picture of this bit, so I pinched one from google images.


Then weave making sure you around each spoke so you get this pattern.

Finally you can decorate with wool, thread, sequins and beads. You can do all sorts of sizes and make them into brooches, embellishment for knitted scarves and hats and of course they can be used in scrap booking and mixed media projects.




No comments:

Post a Comment